This frozen chicken breast air fryer recipe is for anyone who loves tender juicy chicken breast, but isn’t always organized enough to thaw their chicken ahead of time. Air fryer chicken breast is succulent and juicy, and ready in no time (with no need to thaw it first).
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook frozen chicken breast in air fryer?
Have you ever forgotten to get the chicken out of the deep freeze a day ahead of when you want to cook it? I have. The first time it happened I wondered ‘can you cook frozen chicken breast in an air fryer?’
So I gave it a try, and it turns out, yes, you can air fry frozen chicken breast without needing to thaw it first.
In fact, the results were so good that now I don’t usually thaw chicken breasts ahead of cooking them, I just use this recipe for air fryer frozen chicken breasts. For more details on cooking chicken from frozen, see: Can you Cook Chicken From Frozen?
Scroll down for the printable card for this frozen chicken breast air fryer recipe, or read on for all the details.
Quantities for all ingredients are given in the recipe card below.
Frozen chicken breast: This recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breast. If you want to cook fresh chicken breast the see this recipe: air fryer chicken breast.
Seasoning: I usually use our favorite store-bought Italian seasoning mix for this recipe, but you can easily make your own, or substitute your favorite chicken seasonings blend. Choose one that contains salt, or add ½ teaspoon salt. To make your own, try this simple recipe:
- ½ teaspoon paprika,
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon soft brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
A little oil: The recipe below uses light olive oil, but you can use any other liquid cooking oil that you usually use in your air fryer. Choose one with a high smoke point like vegetable oil, corn oil or avocado oil.
How to make the BEST air fryer frozen chicken breast
This recipe is very simple, but there are a few steps you need to take to make sure it comes out perfect every time.
- Use a preheated air fryer. Preheat to 360°F/ 180°C
- Oil and season the chicken. Drizzle the chicken with oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Press the oil and seasoning on to the chicken breast to make sure it is well coated (I use a silicone spatula to do this).
- Place frozen chicken breasts in the air fryer basket in a single layer, and make sure they are not touching. They need space around them so that the hot air can reach all sides so that they cook evenly.
- Air fry chicken breasts for 22-30 minutes (see section below for more on cooking times).
- Flip chicken over halfway through if this is required for your air fryer. Not all air fryers require food to be flipped during cooking, so check your manual if you are unsure if this is needed.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to confirm that it is cooked (see section below for more details).
How long to cook frozen chicken breast in air fryer
The exact cook time needed to air fry frozen chicken breast will depend on a few factors including the exact size and shape of your chicken breasts, how cold your freezer is, and how powerful your air fryer is.
When cooking chicken from frozen it is vitally important to make sure that it is properly cooked before you consume it. To check that your chicken is cooked you can cut it in half through the thickest point and ensure that it is white all the way through (no translucent raw chicken in the middle).
But the easiest way to ensure that your frozen chicken breasts are fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature to make sure it has reached at least 165°F/ 74°C (the safe temperature for chicken recommended by the USDA).
Make sure you test the temperature in a few places to make sure that it is thoroughly cooked all the way through (frozen chicken can sometimes cook unevenly).
Serve air-fried chicken breasts as a main dish with fries and a simple salad or a side of steamed vegetables (see microwave steamed vegetables for a quick and easy way to cook them).
Or cut chicken breasts into strips and serve as an appetizer with your favorite dipping sauce.
Tip: If you want to cook sides in the air fryer as well as the chicken, start with the sides and subtract 10 minutes from their cooking time. Remove them from the air fryer and cover with foil, cook the chicken, then finish the sides in the air fryer for 10 minutes while the chicken breasts are resting.
Alternatively, choose a side that will air fry in ten minutes or less like:
Leftovers and reheating
Store any leftover chicken breast in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 3 days. Do not refreeze leftover chicken breasts.
You can reheat chicken breast in the air fryer. Air fry at 360°F/ 180°C for 5-10 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165°F/ 74°C.
Air fryer frozen chicken breast recipe card
How to cook frozen chicken breast in an air fryer.
- 1 frozen chicken breast, approx. 6 oz (boneless, skinless)
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning mix [Note 1]
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C.
- Remove frozen chicken breast from packaging and place in a large bowl or on a plate. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle over the seasoning. Press the oil and seasoning on to the chicken breast to make sure it is well coated.
- Place chicken breast in air fryer basket. If you are cooking more than one, place in a single layer, and ensure they are not touching.
- Air fry frozen chicken breasts for 22-30 minutes at 360°F/ 180°C until the internal temperature reaches 165°F/ 74°C [Note 2].
- Remove chicken breasts from the air fryer, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Choose one that contains salt, or add ½ teaspoon salt per chicken breast.
- Test the internal temperature at the thickest point in several places to ensure the chicken breast is 165°F/ 74°C the whole way through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 53g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air fryer frozen chicken wings
- Air fryer frozen chicken patties
- Air fryer chicken thighs
- Air fryer chicken tenderloins
- Instant Pot chicken and mushroom risotto
- Instant pot chicken and pumpkin risotto
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!
*This blog post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!
Welcome to Love Food Not Cooking!
I’m Eliza, busy mom, home cook, and blogger. My goal is to help everyone cook good food. Whether you are short on time, skills, or motivation, there is something here for you! We have dozens of quick and easy recipes for dinner, lunch, side dishes, and more. Our recipes use everyday ingredients, for quick delicious meals your family will love! Read more…