One of our favorite easy weeknight dinners is this recipe for air fryer chicken thighs and potatoes. Simple to prepare, kid-friendly, and on the table in no time, this meal is sure to become a family favorite!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook chicken thighs and potatoes in an air fryer
If you are after an easy weeknight meal, this recipe for air fryer chicken thighs and potatoes is the perfect solution! The chicken thighs are juicy and tender, while the potatoes are crispy and delicious. This meal is very quick and easy to prepare and only takes a few minutes in the air fryer.
The real beauty of this recipe is that the chicken thighs and potatoes are cooked together in the air fryer, reducing the hassle, and means you have fewer pans to clean up!
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer chicken thighs and potatoes recipe, or read on for all the details.
Ingredients and substitutions
Chicken thighs: I use fresh boneless skinless chicken thighs. You can use skin-on in this recipe, but if you are using bone-in then you will need to adjust the cooking time. Add an extra 5-10 minutes (depending on the size of the thighs), and be sure to check the final internal temperature to ensure they have reached at least 165°F/74°C in the center.
Potatoes: Choose a roasting variety. Most types of red potatoes, yellow or gold should give good results. Try russet, Maris Piper, Agria, or Sebago potatoes.
The recipe below uses regular potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes, but you can use baby potatoes and cut them in half or quarters so that they are around 1 inch wide.
Seasoning: This recipe uses fine ground sea salt to season the potatoes and a chicken seasoning mix. Either use your favorite pre-made spice blend, or you can make a simple homemade mix with:
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Please feel free to adapt the seasonings to your taste preferences.
Oil: The recipe below specifies light olive oil, but you can substitute any other cooking oil that you would normally use in your air fryer. Choose one with a high smoke point, like corn oil, vegetable oil, or avocado oil.
You will need an air fryer with a big enough capacity to hold 2 pounds (1kg) for the recipe below.
If you have a small air fryer, which doesn’t have a huge capacity, you have two options.
- You can adjust the quantities to match your air fryer’s capacity, or
- You can part-cook the potatoes for 15 minutes ahead of cooking the chicken thighs, remove and cover them while the chicken cooks. Then return them to finish cooking for ten minutes once the chicken is resting.
How to cook chicken thighs and potatoes in an air fryer (AT THE SAME TIME!)
This is a very simple recipe, but there are a few steps that it is important to get right (and do in the right order) so that this recipe comes out perfect every time.
- First prepare the potatoes. Once you have peeled and diced the potatoes, place them in a large bowl filled with cool water to soak. This helps to remove the surface starch from the potatoes, which helps to get them crispier. Drain the potatoes, pat them dry (getting them really dry at this stage helps to make them extra crispy), then toss with a drizzle of oil and sea salt.
- Prepare the chicken thighs. Simply pat the chicken thighs dry, then toss in a bowl with another drizzle of oil and the seasoning.
- Air fry chicken thighs and potatoes together for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken thighs over halfway through the cooking time to ensure they cook evenly. Check the internal temperature of the chicken thighs in a few places to ensure they have reached 165°F/ 74°C all the way through. Remove chicken thighs to a plate and cover with kitchen foil to rest for ten minutes.
- Finish cooking the potatoes. Shake the potatoes in the air fryer basket to redistribute them. This ensures that they cook evenly. Then air fry the potatoes on their own for a final ten minutes while the chicken thighs rest.
I normally serve chicken thighs and potatoes with a side salad and a tasty dressing or sauce like sweet chili mayo, ranch dressing, or bbq sauce.
For some other easy and healthy side dish options, try:
Storage and reheating
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator and use within 3 days.
To reheat, place the chicken thighs and potatoes in the air fryer, and set to cook at 360°F/180°C for ten minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165°F/74°C.
How to cook chicken thighs and potatoes in an air fryer (at the same time!)
- 1lb chicken thighs (3-4 thighs), boneless, skinless
- 1lb russet potatoes [Note 1]
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil (divided)
- 3 teaspoons chicken seasoning [Note 2]
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Peel the potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes, and place in a bowl of cold water.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F/180°C.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry, place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of oil and the seasoning, and toss to coat.
- Drain the potatoes and pat them dry. Place in a large bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, add the salt, and toss to coat.
- Place the chicken thighs and potatoes in the air fryer and cook at 360°F/180°C for 15 minutes, flipping the chicken thighs over half-way through the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is up check the internal temperature of the chicken thighs to ensure they have reached 165°F/74°C in the center of the thickest part [Note 3].
- Remove the chicken thighs to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to rest for ten minutes.
- Shake the air fryer basket to redistribute the potatoes [Note 4], then air fry them for a final 10 minutes while the chicken thighs rest.
- Serve air-fried chicken thighs and potatoes with a side salad, and enjoy!
- Choose a roasting variety, such as Maris Piper, Sebago, Maris Piper, Agria, or Sebago potatoes, or another yellow or golden variety.
- Or make a simple homemade mix from: 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Use an instant-read thermometer.
- Or use tongs to quickly flip them if you have a tray type air fryer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 778Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 277mgSodium: 963mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 5gSugar: 2gProtein: 61g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!