Slow cooker pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions is nutritious and filling. This easy roast of beef and vegetables is slow-cooked for hours, so the meat is tender enough to fall apart after you take it out of the crock pot.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
A slow cooker pot roast is a really great dish for the winter. It’s hearty, filling and easy to make.
Slow cookers are great for people who are busy and can’t be at home for long but still want to make a hearty, delicious dinner. They are also perfect for people who are new to cooking or live on their own and don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.
This slow cooker beef pot roast is one of my favourite dishes to cook and to eat. It is so easy and great for a week when cooking dinner can seem tedious. I like to do the prep the night before, and then the next morning it is as easy as adding all the ingredients to the slow cooker, setting it and heading to work.
It is so awesome to come home to a freshly cooked meal on a winter’s evening!
Scroll down for the printable card for this slow cooker beef pot roast recipe, or read on for all the details!
The basic ingredients for this slow cooker beef pot roast are:
- A beef roast: an economical cut of meat like brisket, chuck, bolar or topside if perfect for a slow cooker pot roast (a good quality cut of meat is wasted in a slow cooker, try air fryer roast beef instead). Choose a cut with some marbling for an extra flavorful and tender roast.
- Vegetables: the recipe below uses potatoes, carrots and onions, but you can vary the vegetables to make it to suit you. Try adding mushrooms, leeks, parsnips, pumpkin, beans, or cauliflower.
- Garlic: use a whole head, cut in half horizontally.
- Herbs: bay leaves and rosemary. Place them in the slow cooker whole, and remember to retrieve them from the dish before serving!
- Cornflour: to thicken the gravy.
This slow cooker pot roast recipe will only take about 15 minutes to prep. It is as easy as cutting up the vegetables, searing the meat, and then adding it all to the pot.
I know it is an extra layer of hassle, but always brown your meat in a pan on the stove first. It takes just minutes and really adds so much to the flavor, as well as making the meat a golden brown (rather than an unappetizing greyish brown). Brown the onions at the same time, this really enhances the flavor of the meal, and it is easy to do since you are browning the meat anyway.
Place the vegetables into the slow cooker and place the meat on top. Add the herbs, and pour over the stock or broth.
Cover with a lid and set to slow cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. And that is basically all there is to it!
Once the meat is cooked, the gravy can be made easily by mixing a slurry of cornflour and water, stirring in to the cooking juices remaining in the slow cooker (remove the vegetables first), and heating until it is thickened. Add water as it thickens to get the right consistency. For a smooth gravy you can strain it through a sieve, pressing all the bits on onion to release the juices.
Serve beef roast with vegetables on the side, and smother with the delicious gravy you just made. For extra veg, try one of these quick vegetable side dishes:
- Microwave steamed broccoli
- Microwave fresh green beans
- Air fryer broccoli
- Air fryer roasted cauliflower
- Air fryer broccolini
- Mashed potato
Slow cooker beef pot roast recipe card
How to cook beef pot roast in a slow cooker or crock pot.
- 2-3 lb beef roast (brisket, chuck, topside)
- 3 cups beef stock or broth
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 1 bulb garlic (cut in half horizontally)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the gravy
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 cup water (as required)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Wash and peel the potato and carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks. Dice the onion.
- Pat beef roast dry. Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. When it is hot, brown the onions, and sear the roast on all sides so that the outer surface is browned all over.
- Place the vegetables, garlic, rosemary and bay leaves in the slow cooker bowl, and add the meat and onions on top.
- Pour the beef stock over the meat.
- Cover with a lid and set slow cooker to cook on Low for 8hrs (or High for 4 hours).
- When the cooking time is up, remove beef from the slow cooker, cover with foil and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes.
Make the gravy
- While the beef is resting, mix the cornflour with 2 tablespoons of water to create a slurry.
- Remove vegetables to a dish and cover to keep warm. Retrieve the bay leaves and rosemary stalks and dispose of.
- Stir cornflour mix into the slow-cooker and leave to thicken (2-3 minutes).
- Add water gradually to create the desired consistency for the gravy. If you prefer smooth gravy, press it through a sieve.
- Slice the beef and serve with vegetables and gravy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1177Total Fat: 68gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 409mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 108g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like: