This recipe is for a classic roast beef cooked in an air fryer. My air fryer roast beef recipe is super simple, gives succulent flavorsome beef, and is a healthy way to cook a beef roast. If your air fryer is big enough you will also be able to cook some potatoes or other roast vegetables right in there with the roasting beef.
Use rump roast, round roast, or sirloin tip. A beef tenderloin is a great option. though cooking time should be halved (due to the thin shape of this cut of beef).
When buying your beef roast, be sure to choose one that is within the capacity of your air fryer (and will also leave room for roast potatoes if you plan on doing them in the air fryer too).
Air Fryer Roast Beef
- 2 lb beef roast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp rosemary
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F (180°C)
- Mix sea salt, rosemary and oil on a plate. Place beef roast on plate and turn so that the oil-herb mix coats the outside of the beef.
- Place beef roast in air fryer basket. Set to cook in air fryer for 45 minutes. Some air fryers require you to turn food during cooking, so check your manual and turn the beef roast after 22 minutes if required (my Philips Vivo airfryer doesn't need food to be turned so I just set to cook for the full time).
- This should give you medium-rare beef. Though when cooking roast beef in an air fryer it is best to check the temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure that it is cooked to your liking. Cook for additional 5 minute intervals if you prefer it more well done.
- Remove roast beef from air fryer, cover with kitchen foil and leave to rest for ten minutes before serving (this allows the juices to reabsorb into the meat).
- Carve the roast beef against the grain and serve with roasted or steamed vegetables, wholegrain mustard, and gravy.
How to prepare air fryer roast beef
My recipe for air fryer roast beef is very simple to prepare.
- Firstly, take the beef roast out of the refrigerator around two hours before you plan to start cooking, to let it get to room temperature.
- Secondly, preheat the air fryer to 360°F (180°C).
- Thirdly, season and add oil.
That’s it, you are ready to air fry that roast beef!
How long to air fry roast beef
This recipe is for cooking medium rare beef.
The general rule for air fryer roast beef cooking times in 20 minutes per lb of beef for rare, then add five minutes for each degree of doneness that you like, so for a 2lb beef roast it would be 20×2+5 = 45 minutes.
What to serve with air fryer roast beef
Here are some great side dishes to try with this air fryer roast beef:
- air fryer roast potatoes – you can just put them in the basket with the roasting beef when there is about 25 minutes of cooking time left.
- microwave steamed broccoli or microwave steamed carrots – prepare them and start them steaming while the roast beef is resting.
- Air fryer roast vegetables – prepare them while the roast beef in cooking, and then put them on to air fry for ten minutes while the beef is resting.