This recipe is for classic roast beef in an air fryer. Air fryer roast beef is simple to cook, but also tender and flavorsome. This recipe uses rosemary, salt and a little oil, for a perfect classic roast beef.
What beef to use?
Use chuck roast, round roast, or sirloin tri tip. Beef tenderloin is also great to roast in an air fryer, but cooking times should be halved due to the shape of this cut. When buying your beef roast, be sure to choose one that will fit in your air fryer (and will also leave room for roast potatoes if you plan on doing them in the air fryer too).
How to prepare beef
This air fryer roast beef recipe is very simple to prepare:
- Take the beef roast out of the refrigerator around two hours before you plan to start cooking, to let it get to room temperature.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F (180°C).
- Season and add oil.
That’s it, you are ready to cook!
How long to air fry roast beef
This recipe is for cooking medium rare beef.
The general rule for a round beef roast beef cooking times in 20 minutes per lb of beef for rare, then add five minutes for each degree of doneness that you like, so for a 2lb beef roast it would be 20×2+5 = 45 minutes. If you are cooking a tenderloin, halve the cooking time – around 22 minutes for medium-rare.
What to serve with roast beef
I love to serve a classic roast, with roasted potatoes, and fresh steamed vegetables. Here are some great side dishes to try with this air fryer roast beef:
- Air fryer roast potatoes – you can just put them in the basket with the roasting beef when there is about 25 minutes of cooking time left. Alternatively pre-cook them for 15 minutes before the beef, then finish them off for 10 minutes while the beef is resting.
- Microwave steamed broccoli or microwave steamed carrots – prepare them and start them steaming while the roast beef is resting.
- Air fryer roast vegetables – prepare them while the roast beef in cooking, and then put them on to air fry for ten minutes while the beef is resting.
Air Fryer Roast Beef Recipe
Air Fryer Roast Beef
- 2 lb beef roast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp rosemary
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F (180°C)
- Mix sea salt, rosemary and oil on a plate. Place beef roast on plate and turn so that the oil-herb mix coats the outside of the beef.
- Place beef roast in air fryer basket. Set to cook in air fryer for 45 minutes. Some air fryers require you to turn food during cooking, so check your manual and turn the beef roast after 22 minutes if required (my Philips Vivo airfryer doesn't need food to be turned so I just set to cook for the full time).
- This should give you medium-rare beef. Though when cooking roast beef in an air fryer it is best to check the temperature with a meat thermometer to ensure that it is cooked to your liking. Cook for additional 5 minute intervals if you prefer it more well done.
- Remove roast beef from air fryer, cover with kitchen foil and leave to rest for at least ten minutes before serving. This allows the meat to finish cooking and the juices to reabsorb into the meat.
- Carve the roast beef against the grain and serve with roasted or steamed vegetables, wholegrain mustard, and gravy.
You may also like: Air Fryer Roast Pork