This is a simple recipe for making air fryer hamburgers. Cooking the burgers in an air fryer means they are super quick and easy to make. And they are so tasty the whole family will love them!
How to Cook Hamburgers in an Air Fryer
Air frying burgers is a quick and easy alternative to grilling or shallow frying. It is also a healthy option, as any excess fat can drain away during cooking.
To air fry burger patties, first be sure to spray the air fryer basket with olive oil to help stop sticking before you place the hamburgers in the air fryer.
If you are air frying more than one burger patty, make sure that they are not touching. If you are short on space you could use an air fryer rack or you may need to cook them in batches.
Depending on what beef you use you may find that quite a lot of fat will often drain out of hamburger patties when air frying. Sometimes this can cause white smoke to come from the air fryer. This isn’t an issue (other than making your kitchen smoky).
Just stop the air fryer (noting how much cooking time remains), drain the fat out of the bottom pan, then put the burgers back in to air fry for the remaining time.
If you are cooking in batches be sure to drain the fat out after each batch.
I always use the leanest ground beef I can find to minimize this problem.
What toppings to use
Now the fun bit, what are you going to top that burger with?
A family favorite for us is cheese, bacon and mushroom burgers. I prepare the bacon and mushrooms in the air fryer before cooking the burgers. When the burgers are done I add a cheese slice on top of the patty and toss the other toppings back in to the air fryer basket with the burger and air fry for a minute or so. Then add to buns, a slice of tomato, and top with sauce. Just delicious!
Here are some other burger flavors we like:
- Blue cheese burgers – add a slice of blue cheese to the top of the patty when it is cooked, and air fry for 1 minute to melt. I also like to add some caramelized onions for a little sweetness to balance out the saltiness of the cheese, and a lettuce leaf or two for some crunch.
- Classic cheeseburger – add a slice of cheddar cheese to cooked patty and air fry for 1 minute to melt. Place in buns and top with sliced dill pickles, mustard and tomato ketchup.
- Cuban burger – a grown-up variation on the classic cheeseburger. Add a slice of Swiss cheese to cooked patty and air fry for 1 minute. Place in burger buns and top with sliced dill pickles and a generous spoonful of Dijon mustard.
- Avocado and chili burger – add cooked patty to burger bun, top with a slice of tomato, chili jam or sweet chili sauce, spread avocado onto the top half of the burger bun, and add a dab of mayo.
BTW, you can also use this recipe to make air fryer sliders. Just form 8 smaller patties and cook for 5 minutes instead of 10.
What to serve with air fryer hamburgers
Here are some great side dishes to go with these air fryer burgers:
Cook any air fryer side dishes before the burgers, leaving 5-10 minutes of cooking time to finish off while you put the burgers together.
How to air fry hamburgers, burgers, or sliders.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 burger buns or gluten-free buns
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- salt + pepper
- your favorite burger toppings
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
- Mix the ground beef and oregano in a bowl. Form the ground beef into 4 hamburger patties (approx. 3-4 inch diameter) and season generously with salt and pepper.
- To prevent the burger patties doming up during cooking you can make them a little concave on top.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the burger patties into the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes. You may need to drain the fat out of the air fryer during cooking if you notice it starting to smoke.
- While the hamburger are air frying, slice the burger buns and prepare any toppings you like.
- When the hamburger patties have finished cooking, remove from the air fryer, place in the burger buns and pile up you favorite topping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g
You may also like: