This is a simple recipe for making air fryer hamburgers. Cooking the burgers in an air fryer means they are super quick and easy to make. And they are so tasty the whole family will love them!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to Cook Hamburgers in an Air Fryer
This burger recipe has minimal prep time, and is a quick and easy way to make juicy delicious hamburgers.
Air frying burgers is a quick and easy alternative to grilling or shallow frying. It is also a healthy option, as any excess fat can drain away during cooking.
To air fry burger patties, first be sure to spray the air fryer basket with olive oil to help stop sticking before you place the hamburgers in the air fryer.
If you are air frying more than one burger patty, make sure that they are not touching. If you are short on space you could use an air fryer rack or you may need to cook them in batches.
What toppings to use
Now the fun bit, what are you going to top that burger with?
A family favorite for us is air fryer cheeseburgers with bacon and mushroom. I prepare the bacon and mushrooms in the air fryer before cooking the burgers.
When the burgers are done I add a cheese slice on top of the patty and toss the bacon and mushrooms back in to the air fryer basket with the burger and air fry for a minute or so. Then add to buns, a slice of tomato, and top with sauce. Just delicious!
Here are some other great air fryer burger flavors:
- Blue cheese burgers – add a slice of blue cheese to the top of the patty when it is cooked, and air fry for 1 minute to melt. I also like to add some caramelized onions for a little sweetness to balance out the saltiness of the cheese, and a lettuce leaf or two for some crunch.
- Classic air fryer cheeseburgers – add a slice of cheese to cooked patty and air fry for 1 minute to melt. Place in buns and top with sliced dill pickles, mustard and tomato ketchup.
- Cuban burger – a grown-up variation on the classic cheeseburger. Add a slice of Swiss cheese to cooked patty and air fry for 1 minute. Place in burger buns and top with sliced dill pickles and a generous spoonful of Dijon mustard.
- Avocado and chili burger – add cooked patty to burger bun, top with a slice of tomato, chili jam or sweet chili sauce, spread avocado onto the top half of the burger bun, and add a dab of mayo.
BTW, you can also use this recipe to make air fryer sliders. Just form 8 smaller patties and cook for 5-8 minutes instead of 10-15.
FAQs & Tips
The cook time for airfrying patties depends on many factors including how many patties you are cooking, exactly how large and thick they are, and how powerful your brand of air fryer is.
Hamburgers are cooked when their internal temperature reaches 160°F (72°C). How long this takes will depend on how efficient your air fryer is. Use a meat thermometer to ensure that you get the cook time right, and reach that all important internal temperature. Cut burger open to ensure that it is cooked through before consuming if you are unsure.
Depending on what beef you use you may find that quite a lot of fat will drain out of hamburger patties when air frying. This can cause white smoke to come from the air fryer.
If this happens, just stop the air fryer (noting how much cooking time remains), drain the fat out of the bottom pan, then put the burgers back in to air fry for the remaining time.
If you are cooking in batches be sure to drain the fat out after each batch.
You can use lean ground beef to minimize this problem.
Cooking in an air fryer allows fat to drain away during the cooking process so it is always going to be healthier than frying them in oil. However, how healthy air fried burgers are depends on what you have made them with. Lean ground beef is a good choice.
What to serve with air fryer hamburgers
Here are some great side dishes to go with these air fryer burgers:
Cook any air fryer side dishes before the burgers, leaving 5-10 minutes of cooking time to finish off while you put the burgers together.
How to cook hamburgers in an air fryer.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 hamburger buns or gluten-free buns
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- black pepper
- olive oil spray
- your burger toppings of choice
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
- Mix the beef and oregano in a bowl.
- Use your hands to form the beef mixture into patties (approx. 3-4 inch diameter) and season generously with salt and pepper.
- To prevent the beef patties doming up during cooking you can make them a little concave on top.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the burger patties into the air fryer basket and cook for 10-15 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160°F (72°C).
- While the hamburger are being air fried, slice the burger buns and prepare any other ingredients to be added on top.
- When the patties have finished cooking, remove from the air fryer, place in the burger buns and pile up you favorite toppings.
- You may need to drain the fat out of the air fryer during cooking if you notice it starting to smoke.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature has reached 160°F (72°C)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g
You may also like:
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!