Few things are more delicious than a juicy burger fresh off the grill. But, if you don’t have access to a grill, or the weather isn’t cooperating, you can still enjoy a delicious burger by cooking it in an air fryer. Air fryer hamburgers are quick and easy to make, and they come out cooked to perfection. So, if you’re craving a burger but don’t want to fire up the grill, try cooking it in an air fryer instead.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
If you love the taste of a juicy hamburger but are trying to eat a little healthier, an air fryer is a great option.
This burger recipe is quick and simple to prepare, and an easy way to make juicy delicious hamburgers at home. It is also a healthier option, as it doesn’t use any oil to cook the patties, and any excess fat can drain away during cooking.
Scroll down for the printable card for this air fryer hamburger recipe, or read on for all the details.
How to Cook Hamburgers in an Air Fryer
- Make the patties. Simple mix the patty ingredients together in a mixing bowl using your hands or a mixer. Then form them into patties around ½-inch thick and 3-4 inches across.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F (200°C)
- Place the hamburgers in the air fryer basket in a single layer, and ensure that they are not touching. Cook them in batches if needed. If your air fryer is prone to food sticking, brush or spritz the air fryer basket with olive oil before you place the hamburgers in it.
- Air fryer burgers for around ten minutes until they are browned, and at least 160°F/72°C in the center.
How long to cook hamburgers in air fryer
The cook time for airfrying patties depends on many factors including how many patties you are cooking, exactly how large and thick they are, and how powerful your brand of air fryer is.
Hamburgers are cooked when their internal temperature reaches at least 160°F/ 72°C.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature in the center of the thickest part of each burger to be sure they have reached the safe temperature. Air fry for additional 1-2 minute intervals, if required, until that temperature is reached.
If you are at all unsure, cut the burger patty open to ensure that it is cooked through (no pink left in the middle) before consuming.
Now for the fun bit, the toppings!
A family favorite for us is air fryer cheeseburgers with bacon. I prepare the bacon in the air fryer before cooking the burger patties.
When the patties are done I add a cheese slice on top of the patty and toss the bacon back into the air fryer basket with the burger and air fry for a minute or so.
Then add the patty and bacon to hamburger buns, and top with a slice of tomato, and sauce. Simply delicious!
Here are some other great air fryer burger flavors:
- Blue cheese burgers – add a slice of blue cheese to the top of the patty when it is cooked, and air fry for 1 minute to melt. I also like to add some caramelized onions or onion jam for a little sweetness to balance out the saltiness of the cheese, and a lettuce leaf or two for some crunch.
- Classic air fryer cheeseburgers – add a slice of American cheese to cooked patty and air fry for 1 minute to melt. Place in buns and top with sliced dill pickles, mustard and tomato ketchup.
- Cuban burger – a grown-up variation on the classic cheeseburger. Add a slice of Swiss cheese to cooked patty and air fry for 1 minute. Place in burger buns and top with sliced dill pickles and a generous spoonful of Dijon mustard.
- Avocado and chili burger – add cooked patty to burger bun, top with a slice of tomato, chili jam or sweet chili sauce, spread avocado onto the top half of the burger bun, and add a dab of mayo.
BTW, you can also use this recipe to make air fryer sliders. Just form 8 smaller patties and cook for 5-8 minutes instead of 10-15.
Side dishes to go with this recipe
Here are some great side dishes to go with these air fryer burgers:
Cook any air fryer side dishes before the burgers, leaving 5-10 minutes of cooking time to finish off while you put the burgers together.
Storing and reheating
Store any leftover burger patties in an airtight container in the fridge and use within 3 days.
To reheat burgers in the air fryer, place the patties in the airfryer basket in a single layer, and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C for 4-5 minutes until they have reached 165°F/ 74°C in the center.
How to cook hamburgers in an air fryer.
- 1lb/ 500g lean ground beef
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns and your burger toppings of choice
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F/ 200°C.
- Mix the beef and oregano in a bowl.
- Use your hands to form the beef mixture into patties (approx. 3-4 inch diameter) and season generously with salt and pepper. To prevent the beef patties from doming up during cooking you can make them a little concave on top.
- Place the burger patties into the air fryer basket in a single layer [Note 1].
- Air fry hamburgers for 10-15 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160°F/ 72°C [Note 2].
- While the hamburger are being air fried, slice the burger buns and prepare any other ingredients to be added on top.
- When the patties have finished cooking, remove from the air fryer, place in the burger buns and pile up your favorite toppings and sauces. Enjoy!
- If your air fryer is prone to food sticking you can spritz or brush the air fryer basket with olive oil before adding the burger patties.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature has reached at least 160°F/ 72°C.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 570mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 49g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Air fryer meatballs
- Air fryer chicken burgers
- Air fryer pork burgers (Cajun style)
- Air fryer chicken breast
- Air fryer beef recipes
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!