Air fryer chicken patties are quick and easy to make. Serve them with or without burger buns, add fries or a salad for a light healthy meal that’s ready in no time.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
This recipe is for homemade chicken patties made from ground chicken. If you want to cook frozen chicken patties, check out this post: air fryer frozen chicken patties.
How to Cook Chicken Patties in an Air Fryer
If you’re looking for a light, healthy meal that’s quick and easy to make, air fryer chicken patties will hit the spot. They are flavorful and juicy, and are so versatile you can serve them with a variety of sides. You can even make them breaded or unbreaded according to your preference.
They are a healthy alternative to air fryer hamburgers, and a breeze to cook in the air fryer. Whether you want a chicken burger piled high with toppings, or prefer your chicken patties bunless, this is the recipe for you.
Air frying is a great way to cook chicken patties, and actually most types of chicken. For some other great recipes try air fryer chicken breast, air fried chicken wings, or check out the full collection of air fryer chicken recipes here.
Scroll down for the recipe card for these air fryer chicken patties, or read on for all the details.
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
One of the things I love about this recipe is how simple it is. You don’t need many ingredients, and can actually use any seasoning you like with the basic homemade chicken patties recipe.
The basic ingredients are:
- Ground chicken/ chicken mince (or for a variation you could use ground turkey or lean ground beef)
- Egg to bind the patty together
- Panko bread crumbs – to add texture and form. I like to use panko breadcrumbs as it keeps the patties light, but you can use any breadcrumbs you have to hand.
- Salt and seasoning to make the flavor really zing.
Optional for breaded chicken patties:
- All purpose flour
- Extra egg
- Extra breadcrumbs: you can use panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs
You can add any seasoning you like, some favorites at my place include:
- Cajun seasoning
- Herbs de Provence
- Jerk seasoning
- Garlic powder and ginger
- Cayenne pepper and paprika
- Sweet chili and cilantro
You will need 2 teaspoons of seasoning, and be sure to add a big pinch of salt along with whatever seasoning you choose (unless the seasoning mix already contains salt!).
Step 1: Preheat air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C.
Step 2: Make the patties. Simply place all the ingredients into a large bowl, and mix well to combine. Shape the chicken mixture into 2 evenly sized patties around ½ inch thick. Make each burger patty slightly concave as they will dome up during cooking.
Optional step: bread the chicken patties. Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate or in a large shallow bowl. Add the flour and chicken patties to another large bowl and dust the chicken patties with flour. Then add the egg to the same bowl and split the yolk, gently turning the patties so the egg coats them. Place each chicken patty into the breadcrumbs and carefully flip it pressing the breadcrumbs so that they stick to the outer surface of the patty.
Step 3: Air fry chicken patties. Place chicken patties in air fryer basket. Ensure they are not touching. Air fry patties at 360°F/ 180°C for 10-12 minutes until they are golden brown and have reached 165°F/ 74°C in the center of the thickest part.
Cook times may vary, exactly how long to air fry chicken patties depends on how thick you make them, and how powerful your air fryer is. Start checking after 10 minutes to see if they are cooked.
Important: Ground chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165°F/ 74°C to be cooked safely. Check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer to confirm that it has reached the safe temperature in the center of the thickest part before consuming.
I usually serve air fried chicken patties as a classic chicken burger in a burger bun, but they are very versatile and you can serve them many different ways. You could try:
- A classic chicken burger in hamburger buns topped with crisp lettuce, a slice of tomato and mayo. Or try bacon, avocado and mayo.
- Bun-less chicken patties with a salad and/or fries
- For fancy chicken cheeseburgers, melt a slice of brie or Camembert cheese on top of the cooked chicken patty (2 minutes in the air fryer) then serve in a burger bun with cranberry sauce and salad (this is also great with a turkey burger).
- A crispy chicken sandwich, serve the patties in rye or sourdough with salad and mayo, or BBQ sauce and slaw.
- Slice the patties and serve in a wrap with humus and salad.
Storing and reheating
Freezing chicken patties
You can freeze the uncooked chicken patties for up to 3 months. Layer burger patties with small squares of parchment before freezing to make them easier to separate when they are frozen, and store in a freezer safe container or ziplock bag.
You don’t need to defrost them before air frying. When you are ready to cook them, place frozen patties in air fryer basket and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C until they have reached 165°F/ 74°C in the center of the thickest part.
The cook times will likely be a little longer than in the recipe below, though this depends on your air fryer and how big the patties are. Start with 15-20 minutes, and use an instant-read thermometer to check that they have reached the target temperature before consuming.
Storing and reheating leftovers
Store any leftover chicken patties in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, and use within 3 days.
You can reheat the chicken patties in the air fryer – air fry for 3-4 minutes until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the microwave, 1-2 minutes on high.
Air Fryer Chicken Patty Recipe
How to cook chicken patties in an air fryer.
- ½ lb ground chicken/ 225g chicken mince
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning [Note 1]
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For Breading (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Make the Chicken Patties
- Place chicken mince, seasoning, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Mix well to combine.
- Shape the chicken mixture into 2 evenly sized patties approximately ½ inch thick.
Bread the chicken patties (optional)
- Place breadcrumbs in a large shallow bowl. Add the flour to another large bowl, place chicken patties into flour and gently toss to coat.
- Add egg to the bowl with the patties, split the yolk, and turn the patties to coat with egg.
- Place each chicken patty into the breadcrumbs, and turn to coat thoroughly. Transfer to a plate, and press the bread crumbs onto the patties to help them stick.
Air Fry the Chicken Patties
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C
- Add patties to air fryer basket [Note 2]. Ensure they are not touching.
- Cook chicken patties in air fryer at 360°F/ 180°C for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown and 165°F/ 74°C in the center of the thickest part. [Note 3].
- Use your choice of seasoning. Cajun seasoning, jerk seasoning, BBQ seasoning are all good.
- if you air fryer is prone to food sticking, spritz the basket with olive oil before you place the patties in the basket.
- Cook times are an estimate only. Exact cooking time depends on power and efficiency of your air fryer and the size of the chicken patties. Always confirm that chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F/ 74°C in the center of the thickest part before consuming.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 214mgSodium: 1986mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
You may also like:
- Air fryer chicken tenders
- Air fryer chicken thighs
- Air fryer chicken wings
- Air fried chicken poppers
- Air fryer pork burgers
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!