This indulgent gooey chocolate mug cake is the perfect single-serving dessert. It’s decadent, chocolatey, and only takes a few minutes to make. Whether you’re in the mood for a quick dessert or a sweet late-night snack, this easy mug cake will satisfy your cravings.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This cake is so moist and chocolatey, it will melt in your mouth.
- Less than 5 minutes from start to finish, cooks in under 2 minutes
- Made from pantry ingredients (+milk)
If you’re looking for a quick and delicious dessert, look no further than the chocolate mug cake! Made with just a few simple ingredients, and baked in the microwave, this cake is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth, fast!
This single-serving cake is made in the microwave and only takes a few minutes to make. Plus, it’s super easy to customize – you can add your favorite mix-ins or top it with a scoop of ice cream.
Scroll down for the printable card for this microwave chocolate mug cake recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
A microwave-safe mug
To make this recipe, you will need a 12-ounce microwave-safe mug or baking dish.
Key ingredients and substitutions
Use all-purpose flour. Bread flour will result in a chewy, overly gummy cake, so is not recommended.
You can use regular granulated sugar or soft brown sugar.
This recipe uses unsweetened cocoa powder. Don’t substitute drinking chocolate mix.
Baking soda (not baking powder), helps the cake to rise up during baking.
I usually use regular full-fat milk, but you can also use half-and-half, or substitute a plant based milk to make a vegan mug cake.
You can use vegetable oil, or any other cooking oil with a neutral flavor. Try light olive oil, canola oil, or avocado oil.
This ingredient is optional. If you don’t have any, your cake will still work out, but it really does add to the flavor, so use it if you have it.
Try adding a tablespoonful of extra treats like chocolate chips, M&Ms, sprinkles, mini marshmallows, or crushed graham crackers (s’mores cake anyone?!).
How to make gooey chocolate mug cake in the microwave
This recipe is so quick and simple to make, there are just a couple of key steps to getting it just right:
- Mix the dry ingredients together in the mug first. You want them to be well combined so that not much mixing is required once the wet ingredients have been added.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix again until well combined and smooth.
- Add any extra goodies on top of the batter, chocolate chips or mini marshmallows are a great option.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1½-2 minutes, until just cooked in the center (the longer you cook it, the less gooey it will be.)
I generally serve this cake with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top, but a drizzle of chocolate sauce or some whipped cream will make it even more decadent.
Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tablespoon extra treats e.g. chocolate chips
- Add dry ingredients to a 12 ounce microwave-safe mug. Stir together until well blended.
- Add the milk, oil, water and vanilla to the mug. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Optional step: add chocolate chips or other treats on top of the batter.
- Microwave mug cake for 1½-2 minutes, or until just set in the center [Note 1]
- Top with a scoop of ice cream and eat straight from the mug.
- Place the mug on a plate when you put it in the microwave just in case it overflows during cooking.
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!