These air fryer brownies are rich and fudgy, and easy to bake in an air fryer! No need to use your oven, quick to cook, and the best bit is because you can just bake a small batch, you can devour the lot!
How to Bake Brownies in an Air Fryer
Freshly baked brownies are such a treat: fudgy, rich, velvety slabs of chocolate heaven!
Baking brownies in an air fryer is quick, and means you can just cook up a small batch easily without using your oven and heating up your whole kitchen!
What do you need?
The ingredients for the basic brownie mix are:
- Unsalted butter – the butter needs to be melted for the recipe, I use a microwave (it takes around 30 seconds on high), but you could also use a small pan.
- Chocolate chips – these also need to be melted. Use cooking chocolate chips as these will melt more easily.
- Eggs – use regular size (not large). The eggs are needed to bind the brownie mixture together.
- Cocoa – use regular unsweetened cocoa.
- Sugar – I normally use regular white granulated sugar, you could use soft brown sugar if you prefer.
- Flour – be sure to use regular all-purpose flour, not self-raising!
- Salt – just a little, to really bring out the chocolatey flavor!
I quite often add extra goodies to my brownies. You can add up to a quarter cup of extras. Some of our favorites are:
- Chopped walnuts
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped dates
- Chopped mixed fruit
- Step 1: Get prepped. Line the bottom of a baking pan with parchment. I normally use a 7 inch (18cm) square tin, but I have found an 8 inch (20cm) round tin will also work.
- Step 2: Melt the butter and chocolate chips together in a microwave. Use a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave in bursts of around 30 seconds until both butter and chocolate have melted. It takes around 9- seconds in my microwave. Stir to combine.
- Step 3: Add the eggs. Crack both eggs into the bowl, and mix until smooth.
- Step 4: Add the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. You can sift the flour and cocoa if you like, but I usually just dump it all in the mixing bowl and mix until all the lumps are gone.
- Step 5: Preheat the air fryer. Some air fryers state they do not need to be preheated, but I do seem to get better results (with baking in particular) if I have preheated my air fryer.
- Step 6: Pour brownie mix into prepared baking tin. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Step 7: Air fry brownies: set to air fry at 320°F (160°C) for between 24 and 30 minutes. The exact time they take to cook will depend on how powerful your air fryer is. You can cook them slightly shorter for gooier brownies, or slightly longer for cakey-type brownies.
- Step 8: Remove from air fryer and allow to cool. Allow to cook completely in the tin, then carefully remove, slice and enjoy!
Air Fryer Brownies: Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes you can! If you are following another recipe (not the one below) you will need to adjust the quantities, cook times and temperature. The recipe quantity you need depends on how big your air fryer and baking pan are, but start by halving the quantities. Temperatures should be reduced by around 20°F, and cook times by approximately a quarter.
Any oven-safe pans are also air fryer safe. Jut make sure that whatever you buy will fit in your air fryer basket with space around the edge to allow the hot air to circulate!
They usually have the same basic ingredients, but the ratio of fat to flour is higher for fudgy brownies. You can also increase the fudginess of the brownies by cooking them for a slightly shorter time.
Use a shallow baking pan or cake tin.
How to bake brownies in an air fryer.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips [Note 1]
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup extra goodies (e.g. chocolate chips, chopped nuts)
- Line the bottom of a 7 inch (18cm) square, or 8 inch (20cm) round baking tin with parchment.
- Place the butter and chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts until just melted (approx. 3x30 seconds).
- When both are melted, stir until combined.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl and mix in until smooth.
- Add the sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt, and mix until well combined.
- Preheat the air fryer to 320°F (160°C).
- Pour the brownie mix into the prepared baking tin, and smooth the top so it is flat.
- Place brownies in the air fryer and set to cook for 24-30 minutes.
- When the brownies are cooked [Note 2], remove from the air fryer, and allow to cool completely in the baking tin.
- When they have cooled, remove from the baking tin, cut into squares, and enjoy!
- Use cooking chocolate rather than eating chocolate as this melts more easily.
- To check if the brownies are cooked, stick a toothpick or skewer into the center. It should have some gooey crumbs clinging to it when it comes out, but it is is quite wet then the brownies will need to cook for a few more minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like: