Air fryer Brussels sprouts are a modern take on a traditional holiday side dish. Try this recipe for delicious garlic and Parmesan Brussel sprouts roasted in an air fryer for a delicious side dish that the whole family will love.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Brussels Sprouts are one of those vegetables that people either love or hate. They are often served at Thanksgiving dinner, but few people know how to prepare them properly.
One of the quickest and easiest ways to cook them is to roast them in your air fryer. Add a little oil, some seasoning and Parmesan cheese and you are on your way to a seriously delicious side dish or healthy snack. I think more people would love them if everyone cooked Brussels sprouts in the air fryer instead of boiling them!
Air frying is a quick way to get crispy vegetables that taste amazing. For some more healthy air fryer vegetable side dish recipes, try: air fryer roasted vegetables, air fryer parsnips, air fryer roast potatoes, or air fryer broccoli.
Scroll down for the recipe card for these crispy air fryer Brussels sprouts, or read on for all the details.
Brussels sprouts: Choose firm brussels sprouts with tightly layered leaves. This recipe uses fresh Brussels sprouts, but you can also use frozen Brussels sprouts, the cook times will just be a little longer.
Oil: I use light olive oil in this recipe, but you can use any cooking oil with a high smoke point. Avoid extra virgin olive oil as this is likely to smoke during cooking due to the high temperature used for this recipe.
Parmesan cheese: Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese if you can. The powdered kind is ok too. Feel free to swap this for nutritional yeast if you want to make a vegan version and keep the cheesy flavor (otherwise you can skip it if you prefer).
Seasoning: This recipe uses garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and black pepper. You can add other seasoning if you wish to change up the flavor, try: red pepper flakes,
Directions to cook these crispy Brussels sprouts in the air fryer
Prepare the Brussels sprouts by trimming off the stalk, and removing any damaged or discolored leaves. If you have small Brussels sprouts you can cook them whole, but for sprouts that are 1-inch or more across, cut them in half vertically through the stalk (so that the leaves hold together).
Place the Brussels sprouts in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add the seasoning and toss to coat them.
Give them lots of space. Place them in the air fryer in a single layer, and try to leave space between them if you can. This helps to ensure they will get crispy by allowing the air to circulate between them during cooking.
Air fry Brussels sprouts at 400 °F/ 200 °C for 10-15 minutes. They need to be cooked hot to make sure they crisp up nicely during cooking. Also, they should be flipped over during cooking a couple of times to ensure that all sides can get super crispy and they cook evenly.
Cook times will vary depending on the size of your Brussels sprouts and how powerful your air fryer is.
Note: if you are cooking Brussels sprouts from frozen the cook times will be longer, so start with 12 minutes, and add extra time as needed.
Serve air-fried Brussels sprouts with an extra sprinkling of parmesan cheese, or try one of these fun options:
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, maple syrup or both!
- Top with butter
- Sprinkle the sprouts with bacon bits
- Serve with a side of ranch dressing or mayo for dipping
Storage and reheating
Store any leftover Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and use them within 3 days.
You can reheat the Brussels sprouts in the air fryer: place them in the air fryer basket and air fry at 360°F/ 180°C until they are warmed through.
Air fryer Brussels sprouts recipe card
How to cook garlic Parmesan Brussels sprouts in an air fryer.
- 1lb Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the sprouts by trimming the stem and removing any yellowed outer leaves [Note 1].
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 °F/ 200 °C.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a medium bowl, drizzle with oil and toss until well coated.
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl with half of the Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the sprouts, tossing again to coat thoroughly.
- Place Brussels sprouts in air fryer basket in a single layer, and cook for 12-14 minutes until tender, shaking the basket or flipping the sprouts over 2-3 times during cooking. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes if they are not as tender as you would like at the end of the cooking time.
- Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle with remaining cheese to serve.
- Large Brussels sprouts should be cut in half, small Brussels sprouts can be cooked whole.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 126Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 407mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air fryer bacon wrapped asparagus
- Air fryer baked potatoes
- Air fryer sweet potato wedges
- Air fryer roasted cauliflower
- Microwave carrots
- How to make gravy from stock
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!