Get ready to wow your taste buds with this delicious recipe for air fryer stuffed mushrooms! Perfect as an appetizer, side dish, or even a main course, these mushrooms are filled with a savory and cheesy stuffing and cooked to golden perfection.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- They are very quick to make and cook in the air fryer in just a few minutes.
- They can be prepared ahead of time, and cooked right before you are ready to eat.
- Stuffed portobello mushrooms are perfect as an appetizer or side dish for any occasion. Even better they are a vegetarian-friendly recipe that’s sure to be a hit with everyone!
Scroll down for the printable card for these air fryer stuffed mushrooms recipe, or read on for all the details.
What do you need?
Full ingredients list and quantities are given in the recipe card below.
The recipe below specifies Portobello mushroom caps which I like to use because they are large, and can fit more filling. However, you can use another type of mushroom with a cup-shaped cap if you prefer.
Smaller-sized mushrooms will cook a little quicker, so reduce the cooking time below if that is what you choose to use.
The recipe below uses light olive oil, but you can substitute any other liquid cooking oil that you normally use for air frying. Choose one with a high smoke point like vegetable oil or avocado oil.
When air frying, choose a cooking oil with a high smoke point to reduce the chance of your air fryer smoking.
The recipe below is for cheese-stuffed mushrooms, but you can add whatever fillings you like as long as it is pre-cooked.
- Roasted garlic. You can substitute 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Cream cheese. This needs to be softened and cut into chunks, so remember to get it out of the refrigerator around 20 minutes before you want to start cooking.
- 6-cheese Italian cheese blend. You can substitute mozzarella cheese.
- Fresh chives, finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese
Try adding some chopped cooked ham, shredded rotisserie chicken, or some chopped walnuts and blue cheese.
How to cook stuffed mushrooms in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, there are just a few key steps to getting it just right:
- Preheat the air fryer 400°F / 200°C. This will take around 3 minutes. Not all air fryers require pre-heating, but I find I usually get better results with pre-heating when the cooking time for a recipe is very short (as with this one).
- While the air fryer is preheating, make the filling. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a large bowl, then add the cream cheese, shredded cheese, chives, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Lightly brush the mushroom caps with oil, and fill them with the cream cheese mixture. Top each mushroom with an equal amount of the Parmesan cheese.
- Carefully place the stuffed mushrooms in the air fryer basket. You can place the mushrooms on a small square of parchment if your air fryer is prone to sticking (if parchment is ok to use in your air fryer).
- Air fry stuffed mushrooms for 6 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender, the cheese has melted, and the top is golden and crispy.
These air fryer stuffed mushrooms are versatile and can be served in a variety of ways. They are perfect as a appetizer or side dish for your next dinner party or gathering.
Serve them as a light and healthy lunch with a side salad. They can also be served as a main course for a vegetarian meal.
Alternatively, you can serve these stuffed mushrooms as a snack or party appetizer, accompanied by a dip of your choice.
Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 large head roasted garlic
- 4 oz cream cheese softened and cut into chunks
- ½ cup finely grated 6-cheese Italian blend
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large Portobello mushroom caps gills and stems removed, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F / 200°C.
- While the air fryer pre-heats, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a large bowl. Add the softened cream cheese, Italian cheese blend, and fresh chives. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Lightly brush Portobello mushrooms with olive oil, then fill with the cheese mixture. Top each mushroom with Parmesan cheese.
- Carefully place stuffed mushrooms in air fryer basket [Note 1].
- Air fry stuffed mushrooms for 6 minutes, or until they are tender and golden brown.
- If food tends to stick to your air fryer you can place the mushrooms on a small square of parchment, or use an air fryer liner (as long as this is recommended for use in your air fryer).
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!