Try this recipe for air fryer ham with a honey mustard glaze for your next holiday dinner. It’s a juicy honey-baked ham, with crispy charred edges and a wonderfully sticky glaze!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to bake ham in an air fryer
There is no need to be intimidated by cooking a baked ham for Christmas. Air frying is the perfect fuss-free way to cook a small ham. All you need is an air fryer, an appropriately sized pre-cooked ham, and a few simple ingredients to make a sticky glaze.
Cooking ham perfectly for a holiday feast can be difficult, and it is all too easy to end up with ham that is dried out on the inside and lacking in flavor. Well, not anymore! Take away the guesswork with this recipe for baking a juicy ham with flavorful charred edges and a wonderfully sticky glaze in your air fryer!
Scroll down for the printable card for this baked ham air fryer recipe, or read on for all the details!
The key things to look for when choosing a ham for this recipe are: fully precooked, boneless, uncut ham. And of course, pick one that will fit in your air fryer. I get a quarter-leg boneless ham which is usually around 3 lb/ 1.3kg.
If you already have your ham and it is a spiral cut ham, then don’t worry, just check my guide to cooking times for air fryer ham below.
If your ham won’t fit in your air fryer, just carve a bit off so that it will fit (you can cook it separately, or save it for sandwiches).
If your ham comes with a packet of glaze you can use that if you prefer, but I like to use this recipe to make a honey baked ham.
- Brown sugar. you can substitute any other type of granulated sugar if you prefer.
- Liquid honey, or maple syrup.
- Dijon mustard. Wholegrain mustard is also good. You can skip this ingredient if you are not a fan of mustard, but I find that the savoriness of mustard offsets the sweetness of the honey for a perfect balance of flavor.
- Pineapple juice. You can substitute apple juice or orange juice if you prefer or if that is what you have to hand.
- Spices. This recipe just uses ground cloves, but you can add ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or any spices of your choosing.
How to make the BEST baked ham in the air fryer
This recipe is very simple to make, though there are a few key preparation steps it is important to get right.
- Remove the rind. If your ham has a rind you will want to remove it before baking, use a sharp knife to cut a zig-zag pattern through the skin, then use your fingers to gently loosen it from the fat. Try to keep the white fat on the ham, and just remove the rind, as this layer of fat keeps the ham moist (and very tasty!)
- Score the fat. Use a sharp knife to score the white fat diagonally at about 1-inch intervals to make a diamond-like pattern.
- Bake ham in a small dish or roasting pan with a little water. This helps to prevent the ham from drying out. Alternatively, you can place the ham on a small square of aluminum foil, and skip adding the water. Just make sure that you leave space around the foil for the air to circulate in the basket. (also please note: some air fryer manufacturers do not recommend using foil, so check your air fryer manual if you are unsure if it is OK for your air fryer).
- Glaze, and glaze again. This recipe has three cooking intervals. The first is just ham with a little water, then the glaze is added and you air fry the ham for the second interval. Then a final layer of glaze is added and there is a final cooking interval of between 15 and 20 minutes. The air fried ham should be caramelized and golden when it is done.
- Rest ham. Once ham is cooked, remove from air fryer, cover with foil and set aside to rest for about 10-15 minutes until ready serve. The temperature will continue to rise while the ham is resting, and should reach 140°F/60°C before serving.
- Finally, collect the glaze and juices from the roasting pan, and pour over the ham just before serving.
How long to cook ham in the air fryer
Boneless ham requires approximately 15 minutes per pound in the air fryer. However, as always, cooking times are an estimate and will vary according to a few factors, including the size and shape of your ham, the starting temperature, and how powerful your air fryer is.
In this recipe we are aiming for an internal temperature of 140°F/ 60°C, so check it with an instant-read meat thermometer.
How long to cook Spiral sliced ham in the air fryer
The cooking time for spiral ham is much shorter than for uncut. Since it is sliced all the way through the center will heat much more quickly than an uncut ham.
Reduce the length of time for each cooking interval from 15 minutes to 10 minutes (total 30 minutes for a 3lb ham), and check the temperature in the center before the final cooking interval to see how long is needed.
To serve, thinly slice the ham. Some side dishes I like to serve with ham are:
- Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- Microwave steamed green beans
- Grilled pineapple slices
- Cheddar cheese sauce
- Microwave steamed carrots
Storage and reheating
Store any leftover ham in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and use within 5 days.
One of my favorite things about having honey baked ham for dinner is having the leftovers in a ham and cheese sandwich the next day (or sometimes later the same day!).
Or serve sliced ham for brunch in crescent rolls with your favorite cheese (try cheddar cheese or Swiss) melted on top.
If you want to reheat the ham in the air fryer, see my air fryer ham steak recipe.
Air fryer ham recipe card
How to bake a ham in an air fryer.
- 3 pound ham (precooked)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves or nutmeg
- Remove the rind from the ham by cutting it and then sliding your fingers or a silicone spatula underneath to loosen it. Try to leave as much of the white fat on the ham as possible.
- Use a sharp knife to score the layer of fat diagonally at about 2cm intervals.
- Preheat air fryer to 300°F/ 150°C (approx 3 minutes).
- Place ham in a small pan or baking dish, add water to the base of the dish and bake ham in the air fryer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the glaze. Whisk brown sugar, honey, mustard and pineapple juice together in a small bowl.
- When the first cooking interval is up, open the air fryer and brush around half of the glaze over the ham.
- Return the ham to the air fryer to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Open the air fryer again, and brush the remaining glaze over the ham.
- Air fry for a final interval 15-20 minutes, until the ham has reached 140°F/ 60°C or higher in the center [Note 1]. The ham should be caramelized and golden.
- Once ham is cooked, remove from air fryer, cover with foil and set aside to rest for at least 10 minutes until ready serve.
- Collect the glaze and juices from the base of the roasting dish and pour over the ham just before serving.
- This is the temperature recommended by the USDA for reheating ham.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 2286mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 50g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
- Air fryer pork steaks
- Air fryer pork chops
- Instant Pot boneless ham
- Air fryer baked potato
- Instant Pot mashed potatoes
- Air fryer French fries
- Air fryer Brussels sprouts
Looking for more recipes?
Check out our recipe index where you can browse recipes by category and meal type!