How to cook a perfect juicy chicken breast in your air fryer. This is the ultimate in easy mid-week dinners, and is paleo, gluten free and keto.
Air frying is a great way to cook chicken breast. You can grill or roast it by varying the mount of oil used (a light brush of oil for grilling, a little more for roasting). This air fried chicken breast recipe makes a great mid week dinner, so healthy, delicious, and easy to cook.
How to prepare air fryer chicken breast
I usually buy skinless chicken breast for air frying, but you can also use skin-on if you want more traditional roasted chicken breast with crispy skin.
To prepare, pat the chicken breast dry, drizzle with a little cooking oil, then add the seasoning and flip the chicken breast over to ensure it is coated with the seasoning on all sides.
For seasoning, I often use store-bought chicken spices [affiliate link], but you can easily make your own. Here are some that I also use:
- salt, ground pepper, paprika, and ground cumin
- basil pesto
- rosemary, thyme and a little salt if you want traditional style roasted chicken breast
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F (200°C).
- Pat chicken breast dry, drizzle (or spray) with oil, and season with chicken spices.
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil to help prevent the chicken breast from sticking.
- Place chicken breast in air fryer basket, and set to cook for 12-15 minutes. The time will depend on how thick the chicken breast is, and will also vary depending on the type of air fryer you have.
- Rest the chicken for 5 minutes. This step is important, as the chicken continues to cook while it is resting, and needs this time for the center to reach the required temperature.
- Chicken is cooked if the juices run clear when you stick a knife in the thickest part. If you are unsure check with a meat thermometer – internal temperature should be 165°F (75°C), or slice the chicken breast before serving to ensure it is cooked through.
What to serve with air fried chicken breast
I often serve chicken breast with a side salad, but here are some other easy recipes for side dishes to go with this air fryer chicken recipe:
- Microwave steamed broccoli
- Microwave steamed carrots
- Mashed potato
- Microwave corn
- Air fryer sweet potato fries
- Rice cooker quinoa