Air fryer pizza scrolls or pizza dough rolls make an easy lunch or snack. Quick to prepare using ready-to-use dough, and super quick to cook in the air fryer (they will be cooked in less time than it takes to heat up your oven).
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
How to cook pizza scrolls in an air fryer
Whether you call them pizza scrolls, pizza dough rolls, or homemade pizza rolls, these pizza dough rolls are made with your favorite pizza ingredients. They are perfect for an easy lunch or snack, and great to pop in the kids’ lunchbox!
Those of you outside the States might know them as pizza rolls, but to Americans, pizza rolls are a crispy baked freezer snack (which are also amazing air-fried: air fryer pizza rolls).
Using store-bought pizza dough from the store makes this recipe a breeze! All it takes is rolling out the dough add in sauce, toppings, and cheese then roll it all tightly together and slice, before baking in the air fryer.
Scroll down for the printable recipe card for these air fryer pizza scrolls, or read on for all the details.
Using premade dough is a great way to save time, but you can also use homemade pizza dough for this recipe. I also sometimes make a version of this recipe using puff pastry in place of pizza dough.
I like to use Mutti canned pizza sauce, but use any brand you like, or tomato paste will also work.
I normally use shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese for this recipe but you can use any variety of grated cheese that you like. Try adding in other types like Colby or Parmesan for added flavor, or try some pepper jack if you want to add a kick!
Toppings: use your favorite pizza toppings. Just make sure they are cut up small enough that they can be rolled up inside the scroll. I used diced pepperoni in this recipe, but my family also loves ham and pineapple, pepperoni and mushroom, or sundried tomatoes and feta.
They are also amazing made just with garlic butter and cheese if you want a simple appetizer or dinner roll.
- Step 1: Roll dough flat: Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. You are aiming for a rectangle shape, of around 14×10 inches, but it doesn’t have to be exact (see photos below).
- Step 2: Add pizza sauce and toppings. Spread the pizza sauce out thinly over the dough, leave a strip along the short edges that is free of sauce. Then add shredded cheese and your favorite pizza toppings. Make sure any toppings are cut up quite thinly so they can be rolled up.
- Step 3: Roll it up. Starting at the short edge (see photo below), roll the dough up with the pizza roll filling inside. (This is a good time to preheat your air fryer if it needs to be preheated).
- Step 4: Slice. Use a sharp knife or a bread knife to cut the dough into 1-1½ inch wide pieces.
- Step 5: Bake in air fryer. Place pizza scroll slices on a small cookie sheet (or use a small piece of parchment paper or baking paper in your air fryer basket if recommended for your air fryer brand) to stop the cheese sticking to your air fryer basket. Air fry pizza scrolls at 360°F/180°C for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
You can also bake them in a regular oven, just place on a baking sheet and bake at 390°F/200°C for 12-15 minutes.
How to serve
Serve with sauce for dipping. Try:
- Pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- Ranch dressing
How to store
Once cooled, these should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge (due to the cheese and meat in them). They will also freeze well – just pop them in ziplock freezer bags – and use them within 3 months.
To reheat these pizza scrolls in the air fryer, heat at 320°F/ 160°C for about 5 minutes (defrost first if reheating frozen scrolls).
Air Fryer Pizza Scrolls Recipe Card
How to make pizza scrolls or pizza dough rolls in an air fryer.
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- 4 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup toppings thinly sliced
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rough rectangle shape (approx. 14×10 inches.
- Spread the pizza sauce out thinly over the dough, leave a strip along each short edge that is free of sauce.
- Add shredded cheese and the prepared toppings.
- Starting with one of the short edges, roll the dough up into a sausage shape with the pizza roll filling inside.
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F/ 180°C.
- Use a sharp knife or a bread knife to cut the dough sausage into 12 equal-sized slices.
- Place pizza scroll slices on a small cookie sheet [Note 1] to stop the cheese from sticking. You may need to cook them in batches depending on how many will fit in your air fryer.
- Air fry pizza scrolls at 360°F/180°C for 10-12 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from air fryer and place on a wire rack to cool. Once cooled, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Alternatively use a small piece of parchment paper or baking paper in your air fryer basket if allowed for your air fryer brand (some air fryer brands do not recommend this, so check your manual if you are unsure).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is an estimate and provided for informational purposes only.
You may also like:
Looking for more recipes?
Check out the recipe index where you can browse recipes by meal type and category!
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a cent more – thanks in advance for your support!